3rd year Pic 355 - Oct 13 2011
Framjee Cawasjee Institute
Dhobi Talao, South Mumbai
An old institute building, the ground floor halls are now used for sales.
Although the tanks have long vanished, the city of Bombay (now Mumbai) once had many water tanks within its city limits. They were once the only source of water to the city. The Framji Cowasji Tank bordered Esplanade was built by Framji Cowasji in 1831. In British times, dhobis used to wash the British soldiers clothes' here. It was filled up in the mid-17th century as the city began to expand. The lake used to be fed by a number of underground freshwater springs, which were recently uncovered while constructing the subway in the locality. A public library stands over the land that was the lake. All that remains of the tank is a plaque on a wall opposite Metro Cinema in South Mumbai.
DarshanHarsh JaveriHershyKayani restaurant and aroundSharookhVikramDSC1472
From Daily photos 3rd year